Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Grand Canyon Railways

So, I decide to spend the weekend by paying a visit to “the Grand Hole” or the “big hole”, as the Arizonians would call it or the Grand Canyon as the rest of the world might know it. I had to drive to a little town called Williams and take a train from there to the south rim of the big hole. Williams was about 180 miles from Tempe, AZ. Without too many driving misadventures, I reached Williams at 9:15 AM. I had planned to visit the Grand Canyon and spend the night there and return the next day by Train to Williams. The Grand Canyon railways is almost 100 years old. They have these little trains which take you from Williams to the south rim of the canyon. Every coach has these coach executives who are very nice people and screamed funny instructions like “Gentlemen, make sure you use ONLY the men’s restroom which is at the rear end of the coach and also make sure you take the 2 extra seconds to flush.” They also talk to each passenger about what they should be doing after they get off the train...what activities they can do. The tell you a lot of trivia about the railways and the canyon etc..The GC railways also has singers who come to every coach and perform..which I thought was really good and each singer specializes in one kind of music. I got a chance to hear some old English songs and on my return another artist sang some folk songs of the native Indians.

And the lady, Victoria was talking for 2 hours 14 minutes and 57 seconds during the travel time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. I slept. When I got out, she politely said it was a pleasure having me in the train. Well, I am sure it was!!!

2 comments:

Sharan said...

Venkat : How come you always end up with ladies who are motor-mouths!! Point to ponder over! of course the flip side of it is it ensures you sleep well.....

Antara Mukherji said...

Must have been one of kind experience!