Tuesday, August 14, 2007

HappIness

It was fun watching the celebrations of India's victory over England in the cricket test series. It was really nice to see the happy faces of the poor cricketers who have been bashed so much by every Tom, Dick and Harry. I have noticed, in my career in the IT industry, how a team's victory brings joy to everybody. In that moment of victory, people forget all their interpersonal issues and just savour and enjoy the moment. Some victories also end long standing animosities.

A team's victory is a great feeling overall and the happiness is clearly reflected and while relishing the team's happiness I forgot some Indian cricket bashing questions myself, which is a good thing.

To me, it was another realization how someone's happiness, even if it was on a stupid TV screen, made me happy. I like being around people who are happy. I want to be happy so that other people around me can feel my happiness and become happy themselves.

The goal, finally, is to try and be happy as much as possible and keep everybody around me happy. Most of the times it is in hind sight we realize mistakes or inevitable circumstances which create unhappiness. But the only way I think is to move ahead just seeing what positives you can take out of it. This Indian team seems to have managed to do it after an almost certain defeat in Lord's.

As the script writer aptly points out in the movie "In Pursuit of Happyness", there is only an I in happiness, there is no "Y".

No comments: